Anyone else in the mood for some good old-fashioned hot chocolate? It has been cold here for a couple days now and I want nothing more than to snuggle under a blanket with a warm cup of cocoa. This is a recipe my husband and I have been using for years.
Here is what you need to make this creamy hot chocolate:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- flavored coffee creamer to taste
Here is how to make it:
- Combine the water, cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring this mixture to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
- Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide between 4 mugs and add flavored creamer as desired. (We love pumpkin spice and mint.)
- As an extra special treat, you can top it off with whipped cream or marshmallows.